Saturday, September 26, 2015

True stories - Work

True stories - Work


Resident to Consultant: " Sir, I need permission to come late tomorrow."

Consultant: " why, may I ask son"

R: "Tomorrow is Durgasthami sir, I am having this Pooja at home. I need to attend it and pray sir."

C: "Sure son, take your leave. Tomorrow is post admission day and rounds starts at 10am."

R: "I will be here by that time, sir. Thank you, and see you."

Next day the resident arrived at 10 to see the consultant already in ward. He scrambled to start the rounds but found to his surprise that the consultant had come at 730am had seen all the old patients, settled their active issues, seen the new patients transferred in the night, written their notes and made their treatment plans. Rounds then got over in 15 mins and the consultant left. 

Being the post admission day and being in charge of the ward on the holiday, the same consultant came for the evening rounds. Evening rounds also went smoothly, most major issues already having dealt with earlier at the appropriate time by the best possible hand. The consultant, pretty relaxed and satisfied, took his unit to the coffee shop. 

After having coffee once outside, walking, he asked;

C: "Did you have a good prayer session, son?"

R: "The function went well sir, thank you. But I can't help myself but ask, sir....why did you come to ward early, sir. I know you are a Brahmin. Surely you also must have had the Pooja at your place on this day of Durgasthami?"

C: "Oh! The Pooja was there all right. I did have the Prasad too....But when you reach my age son, you come to believe that the Lord exists in the world through the actions of Good hearted people. For me, Work is worship and service is heaven. I'm sure one day you'll also realise that. Goodnight my dears, see you tomorrow.

The professor turned back and walked towards the parking lot. As if on cue, the bells of the nearby temple started ringing.

Somethings you can't teach, one needs to find it within himself. 

Happy Navarathri.



 


No comments:

Post a Comment